I can calculate my odds that my message will be viewed by you on your smartphone rather easily. At this very moment there exist trillions of possibilities. Those possibilities are published messages available to you because of your privacy settings and the privacy settings of the message publisher. That publisher can be human or non-human. The probability that you will view my message can be calculated. I can increase or decrease my odds through my own actions regardless of your actions. You can increase or decrease my odds through your own actions regardless of my actions. A third party (typically non-human) can increase or decrease my odds in spite of either of our actions or desires.
To increase my odds I need to:
- Take certain actions.
- Influence your decision-making behavior.
- Successfully negotiate with 3rd parties.
Things I can do to increase my odds:
- Publish a message worthy of your ATTENTION.
- Be respectful of your smartphone behavioral standards.
- Be considerate of your time.
- Operate within the 3rd party rules (that are always changing).
- Optimize for mutual exchange of value over a long time frame.