A few years ago I wrote the $15 Minimum Wage Paradox. The net of the article is if labor rates get above $15 per hour, I can replace unskilled labor with technology. Many used the “self checkout” argument to debate my finding. The “self checkout” argument is valid! However, my debaters failed to comprehend that the $15 per hour employee is NOT replaced with automation. The BUSINESS PROCESS of ordering and getting food is so fundamentally changed that there is no need for the cashier at all.
Here are two examples. Both are cost justified once labor rates exceed the $15 per hour threshold.
The Grocery Store Experience:
In a grocery store, I need the butcher. I need the florist. I need the produce specialist. I need the stock boy. This is not about if I need the CASHIER or not. No! No! I don’t need the checkout lanes ! I simply get everything I want and when my grocery cart or bag leaves the green zone, it scans everything in said cart or bag and debits a bank account in less than a second. That bank account could be yours or a charity or a government agency.
It gets better . . .
Since Harris Teeter knows everything I buy, when I buy, how I buy they can buy for me. Zero clicks !
The Health App
Your Health App on your iPhone replaces ALL food apps including Dominoes, Check-Fil-A, Grubhub, etc. All mentioned PROVIDERS still MUST have an app BUT your Health App is the only customer of the Chick-Fil-A app. When you are ready to eat, your iPhone is ready to help. It does so in the most elaborate ways including but not limited to:
- If alone, it finds your top choice for you and simply instructs you on how to get your food. This may or may not require you to move. BTW, since it knows your calendar better than you, it may instruct you to walk!
- Keeps up with everything! Every calorie is cataloged with metadata which includes your location, time of date, how you were feeling, who you talked to just before eating, what you did after eating, ETC.! It takes all of this #bigdata and makes sense of it for you and your health.
- Encourages you to eat better
- Adjusts constantly for YOU to daily specials, coupons, deals, etc.
- Shares your information with your physician, coach, etc.
- Eliminates ALL spam on your iPhone from restaurants (ALL!)
2 things should really stand out in the Health App example:
- At no time is a cashier needed. Bottom line, cashiers add ZERO value to the process of ordering and getting food in a technology driven world. Hence the title, “Mommy, what’s a cashier?”. The unskilled labor force on planet Earth is as extinct as the dinosaurs. Not right now, BUT in your lifetime.
- The value that the HEALTH APP creates for FREE is so powerful that NOTHING can compete with it. As good as the Chick-Fil-A app can be, it can NEVER rent space on the most desired real estate on the planet –> your iPhone. All apps will serve a master. That master is APPLE! Your APPLE phone and iTV (bye bye Comcast!) will interface with EVERY app that is relevant to YOU on your behalf. You will have WAY FEWER APPS on your phone in the future NOT more.
If you need help with all of this phenomenal technological change happening all around you, I’d love to help you with your particular situation. Simply click here –> BE BRAVE!