The 1% rule states that the number of people who create content within an “online community”is only 1%. The 1:9:90 rule states that 1% create content, 9% engage with said created and 90% “lurk” or voyeur within the defined online community. This rule of thumb is still debated worldwide in 2016 within the geek community of which I’m a proud member (the eleven-year long debate).
The digital realm of my understanding has not shifted slightly, it has completed switched polarity. North is south and south and north now. 99% of WE (All of US) create content now. 9% of 1% of your intended audience (as you define it through your privacy settings) engage with YOUR content and the other 99% never consume or digest your content.
Therefore the 90:9:1 rule states that 90% of WE (All of us) create content now. Only 1% of your intended audience consumes and digest your content. Of that 1%, 9% will engage with your content.
ONLY 1% of your intended audience consumes and digest your content.
This includes your immediate family members, close friends, customers, prospects, business associates, etc. YOU define your intended audience through your privacy settings.
If your intended audience is one (1) your rule of thumb is 1% odds of your email, snapchap, direct message, private message, etc. being consumed and digested.
If your intended audience is one hundred million (100,000,000) your rule of thumb is 1% of your blog, photo story, link story, advertisement, e-book, video being consumed and digested.
It is hard to believe that your email that is sent to a family member has 99% odds of being ignored. However, you already know this to be true. Think about it for a day or two. You will eventually say to yourself “he’s right”. You expect your spammy email to be ignored but it’s not possible that my forward of a daily reflection to my spouse was ignored. “She said she read it!”
OMG! She didn’t really read it . . . did she?
I hate to be the one to inform you but she didn’t consume or digest it. She marked it read but she could not tell you why you sent that particular daily reflection.
According to this new rule, if that same daily reflection would have been sent to 100,000,000 email inboxes, the exact same “rule of thumb” applies –> 1%.
Here’s what you need to know in order to significantly improve your content consumption and digestion rates:
- Recognize that your intended audience receives over 18,000 messages to the brain PER DAY. I know your message is the most important message in the world but it is swimming in an ocean of messages and your audiences’ brain filters are all turned on. The brain filters these 18,000 messages AUTOMATICALLY without their personal attention or assistance. The brain does it! Not the intended reader. You must recognize the tremendous role that brain filters play in your messaging campaign.
- The attention span of the human being is now 4 seconds. It used to be 7 seconds.
- Headlines (aka Subject line) are 25 characters MAX. Headline writing is “popping the cap” on your content. Practice, practice, practice. Hire a coach.
- Your intended audiences’ value systems. What does your audience need?
- Checklist: (a) Does your content make them laugh? (b) does it make them think? (c) does it spring them into action? (d) does it cause a sentiment? is that sentiment positive or negative? PS. There is no such thing as a neutral sentiment (it’s a mathematical bucket created for all the leftover shit. It’s a really big bucket).
- Checklist: Is your content PERMISSIONED? Most authors do not mind if you SHARE their content (if you do it per the rules agreed to by the industry at large). Content can be (a) CREATED or (b) PERMISSIONED. Those are the only 2 options. If it’s not your ORIGINAL content make sure you have permission otherwise you are violating the creator’s rights. By violating a creator’s rights, your personal reputation is diminished not to mention you are in violation of a federal law.
- Timing isn’t everything BUT most content objects are time sensitive with short life spans. We’ll cover CONTENT LIFECYCLE MANAGEMENT (CLM) is a follow-up article.
In conclusion, everyone creates content now. The 1:9:90 rule has flipped. It’s the 90:9:1 formula that defines the 1% rule now. All content has a lifespan. A video about “how to make lasagna” on Youtube may live forever. A selfie may be aborted 1 second after conception. If you desire your content to live a prosperous life and fulfill it’s intended purpose with your intended audience, please use the 7 insights above to significantly improve your digestion rates.
Every content creator needs a coach. Find one. I have a coach. I also coach. If you need me, I’m only a phone call away +1-843-327-6008 or click HERE on your watch, phone or tablet for other options.